+1.772.261.8858 U.S.A | +39.081.19137170 Italy | +39.379.1526656 Italy [email protected]

With the Ordinance of August 28, 2021, in force from September 1 until October 25, 2021, the Italian Ministry of Health has established that travelers from Canada, Japan or the United States who are in possession of a valid Covid Green Certification or equivalent certification, still need to undergo a molecular or antigenic test, conducted with a swab and negative result, within 72 hours prior to entering Italy.

With the aforementioned ordinance, in fact, all travelers coming from the countries in List D, which includes Canada and the United States, provided that in the 14 days prior to entering Italy they have not been in one of the countries in List E or in Brazil, India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka are exempt from fiduciary isolation provided they present both of the following documents, in paper or digital form, issued by the competent health authority of the country of origin:

* Vaccination certificate, confirming that travelers have completed the prescribed anti-SARS-CoV-2 vaccination course for at least 14 days, or the certificate of recovery, which is valid for 180 days from the date of the first positive swab;

* Negative result of a molecular or antigenic swab carried out in the 72 hours before entering Italy. Children under the age of 6 are exempt from taking the pre-departure swab.

* It is mandatory to fill in the Passenger Locator Form – Digital Localization Form – before entering Italy. The form replaces the self-declaration made to the carrier.

The certification relating to the completion of the vaccination cycle must refer to one of the four vaccines approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMA):

* Comirnaty of Pfizer-BioNtech
* Modern
* Vaxzevria
* Jansen (Johnson & Johnson)

Certifications must be submitted in one of the following languages: Italian, English, French or Spanish.

Furthermore, Since August 6, 2021 (DECREE-LAW July 23, 2021, n.105, art. 3), the digital green certificate Covid-19 (Green Pass), or equivalent certificate* recognized by the Italian Authorities, is necessary, for all people aged 12 and over, to access:

  1. any type of restaurant service at the table indoors;
  2. sports shows, events and competitions;
  3. museums, institutes and places of culture;
  4. swimming pools, gyms, wellness centers, spas, theme and amusement parks, cultural and recreational centers, gambling halls and casinos;
  5. fairs, conferences and congresses.

Furthermore, starting from September 1, 2021 (DECREE-LAW August 6, 2021, n.111, art.2), the Green Pass or equivalent certificate * will be required to embark on:

  1. aircrafts;
  2. ships and ferries for interregional transport (excluding connections in the Strait of Messina);
  3. Intercity and High Speed ​​trains;
  4. buses for interregional transport;
  5. bus for rental services with driver.

At the moment, Italy recognizes as * equivalent, for use on the national territory, the certifications issued by some non-EU countries (Countries in List D, including Canada and USA, Israel), as indicated in the Ordinance of July 29, 2021 and in the Ordinance of August 28, 2021, provided that they meet the characteristics indicated in the Circular of the Ministry of Health of July 30, 2021.

For detailed information and real-time updates, I always recommend consulting the following sites:





For more information on the Green Pass: